Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

Photo Update on the Hogwarts room...

After three days of painting I feel too tired to make sense, but I wanted share a bit of what we've done so far. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed and I am very tired of painting faux stones on the wall, but it is starting to really come together. I think it will all be worth it. I'll be more sure after it is finally done and my muscles stop shaking. Here is a sort of lazy, picture-heavy update.

 Blue skies.

This is the part where I got nervous, facing the highlight and shadow colors for the 'stones'. I pretty much almost lost my confidence and said, "Let's go with the dark gray, cave-like walls." Because I thought there was no way I was going to be able to make these two colors look like stone.

Saving the old murals. My husband couldn't bring himself to paint over the creepy cheshire like cat and reading mouse. I painted them on the walls when my kids were small and there used to be a little playhouse in that corner. Now this is where the closet organizer is, and the little creatures peek out from behind the clothing. The green is the old color and the dark gray is the base color for the stones.

 Real window and new mural windows.

My hand isn't naturally creepy and shiny, I'm wearing rubber gloves.  :0) This is what I've been doing for the past three days. I used this tutorial. I highly recommend it! But I also recommend only doing one wall in stone. Not three. Or have more than one person in the home on stone duty.

 I've been doing a little bit of this too.

Yes, those are shower curtain rings. Makes the curtain slide better since we are using them for closet 'doors'.

 A peek at a castle wall. A small but dramatic room, I think.

 Peek at a castle window.

A peek at a very excited boy. :0)

We are quite a bit further along than these pictures, but it is dark out now and the whole thing doesn't photograph well without the sunshine to help my flash out a bit. I think I might wait until it is done to share more photos, because we are so close to the WOW stage. Just a few days away I think. I know I have to be done by Saturday because we are planning to get a Christmas tree this weekend (both yay and uh-oh) and I need to have my boy's bed moved out of the toy room by then!

8 comments:

Critter's critters said...

I am so excited to see the finished product!! It looks GREAT so far. Next... the nephews' room, right?

Mummy Dearest said...

Holy smokes, those rocks are AMAZING! You should feel full of confidence. What a fun project!

Karen said...

Oh wow, just wow.
You have the luckiest Hogwarts fan I know living in your home!

val said...

Well, you seem to be at a wow stage for me. This is gorgeous. love, Va

Deb said...

Your stones are great! I can't wait to see it finished.

K said...

Gosh, I can't wait to see the whole thing. You ROCK! (ha ha) Seriously, you are one talented Mama. :o)

Jennifer Ofenstein said...

I love the way you're doing the room! If I had it to do all over again, I would definitely use the tutorial for the stones...wonderful!

p.s. I found you because you linked to my bookcase mural in another post. :)

candyn said...

Wow, has it been almost a month since I posted this?! Time flies! Thanks for all the kinds words, everyone. I'll be back after the holidays to post the finished room. We are all quite happy with the results and the kids have really been enjoying it.

Jennifer - Oh how I loved your murals! Thank you for commenting on my blog. I yelled to my husband - 'Hey, the woman with the amazing Harry Potter bookshelf mural commented on my blog.' Made our night. :0)